Monday, April 9, 2018

Progress Report on South Bronx Healthy Eating Project Week 1

Topic: Healthy eating in the South Bronx.
            I am looking at how the South Bronx community is changing the systemic cycle of unhealthy eating by targeting the youth within the communities. 

This week I worked on finding sources for the project and also sharpening my focus. Henry Obispo the founder of UBC which is a chain of restaurants in the South Bronx and the creator of the Bronx salad traveled overseas and returned this morning. We are now scheduling time to talk sometime this week. He updated me on the 20 healthy foods he wants to launch. He hasn’t launched them yet but he wants to talk to me about them. I will find out what they are, when and where they will be available. I also looked into the Mott Haven jail proposal. The proposed jail will be located at 320 Concord Avenue. I read an article and found a few people who live in the area commented below. I sent them messages and I’m waiting for a response. This week I am planning on going to that area to speak with the local bodegas/supermarket managers/street fresh food vendors about the proposal and hopefully they can talk about it and lead me to some great characters. I will try to go to the SoBro hydroponics class on Friday and either observe a class or schedule time to follow Brandon Diop to one of the Bronx schools he instructs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment