Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fist person Narrative on my own experiences with language

I was seven years old when I first came to the United states, I remember walking through the air port with my hand tightly gripping my mother hand. Seeing all these bright signs and letters, some of them I could read and other I could bearly see because of how bright the lights made the letters look. When I was in Ghana I was being promoted to the second grade however, when I came here the teacher thought it would be suitable for me if I were to repeat the 1st grade all over again and learn some proper english. I remember feeling isolated and ridiculed because I was different and most of all I could not speak  english as well as the other children. I was teased, bullied, and shamed.

 I began to hate myself because I hated being different, so I began to abandon some of my own culture and adopt the American culture. I never complained when they pronounced my name wrong, in fact I began to see myself differently, I wanted to be the perfect American girl. However, over the years I began to realize how important my own traditions and cultures were because while I was busy trying to be American, they were trying to be like me. Some people hated me because of their own ignorant beliefs however, the right people accepted me for all that I was. Reading the text "Talking in the New Land" by Edite Cunha  made me realize and understand that many people of all races experienced the same changes and endured the same challenges that I went through.

 Like the main character, my name has some biblical references to it, Keziah is one of jobs daughters, the bible verse was Job 42:14 and my mother never let me for get it. My traditional name comes from my mothers close relative, just like Maria adopted her godmothers name, I adopted a family members name as well. I also understand the frustrations that come with translation, even till this day. Every now and again my mother will call me from the other room to speak on the phone for her because she does not want people to hear her accent and take advantage of her. Just like Maria's dad, even though he was afraid of being tricked.

 That fear of someone taking advantage of you because you can not speak like they do is still relevant, my parents live it every day, however when they see me and my sister and how well we speak this native language of America it's like a new day has begun, so I try not to get so frustrated even when they yell at me for not saying what they want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment